Hi again,
So... I've got two days to catch up on. Well, yesterday, I slept in. And I don't mean until 7AM "slept in" (as some of you know, when I work on day shift I get up at 4.30AM!) No, today I didn't wake up until after midday. I imagine it is partly due to jet lag, a number of early mornings, poor sleep, and the fact that I have been walking absolutely everywhere, almost without exception. I've worked out how to get the best night's sleep now. Louise suggested taking earplugs for the flight over. Well, they helped a little, but they have become indespensible for being able to have a good night's sleep in a six-bed dorm with noisy air-conditioners and snoring. Thanks Louise!! Now moving on...
So, even though I didn't wake up until after noon, I still insisted on having breakfast. I went to "Bagel on Broadway", and had a cinammon raisin bagel, toasted with butter. Not much difference in taste to the others I've had here. All have been delicious :)
I met up with two of my roomates Matthieu and (I think this is how you spell it) Yussef back at the hostel. Both very nice french people. Matthieu lives in a small seaside town near the border of Spain. I think it was called "Bialitz". I'd have to check though. He works for Quiksilver, so he he's familiar with Australians and their wild ways (although I don't really think I fit into the stereotype exactly). Yussef lives in Paris, although I can't remember exactly what he did. They were both friends from a management school in "Bialitz". Anyway, enough of my friends...
So we met up, and were planning to go to SoHo to look for clothes. Since I've been here, the weather hasn't been bad at all (it was a dry heat on the weekend, and the temperature was mild). But it has been hotter the last few days, and getting a little more humid, so I was hoping to get some shorts, some more t-shirts, and a hat, because I think the top of my scalp may have been getting a little too much sun.
We went first to Greenwich Village. Couldn't help noticing all the New York University buildings. I love the area, and I'm going to do everything I can to get accepted into their PhD program in two years time (and I'm going to need all the help I can get! It's a tough school to get in to). Had lunch at a Peruvian cafe (which turns out to be one in a chain. Can't remember the name). Walked through NoHo and on to East Village, where we had a cocktail at a bar called "Bua" in St Mark's Place. This street is quite distinctive. There are a lot of stores selling hats, t-shirts with bands or political slogans, and tatoo and piercing parlours. Can't say I'm too impressed with what they had to offer. It's suppose to be a "hippie" neighbourhood. But it just seemed they were selling all the same stuff; and probably more for the tourists. I almost completely lost confidence in the scene when I heard Wolfmother playing in one of the shops. No offence to Wolfmother fans, but why bother? Might as well listen to Led Zeppelin. Anyway...
But still, East village was very nice with all its bars and cafes, and it would nevertheless be a cool neighbourhod to live in (although the Waitress at Bua said rent is about $1000 a month!).
We wandered a little more, and then Matthieu and Yussef wanted to go and jog in Central Park before it got dark. So they went back, while I wandered around the streets a little more, looking at all the different food outlets, etc.) I met up with them later that evening, and we went back to the East Village and had dinner at the "Sushi Lounge". Food was delicious, I had the special, which included Chicken and cashews, with a selection of Sashimi and salad :) I also had a "Sake-tini", which was just a cocktail with sake, and some Japanese beer. We then went back to Bua's, had another beer, then took a cab back to the hostel and called it a night.
They left early the following morning, but before they left we exchanged e-mails (so it looks like my next trip will be to Paris and Bialitz. Not bad...)
Today, I went out alone, checked my e-mail at the Apple Store, and then wandered down Fifth Avenue to find some clothes. First store I found was "Saks". Think of Myer or David Jones, but five times more expensive. I saw leather Jackets there for almost US $3000. Hmm... maybe in my next life. I found another store, "H&M" which was more budget clothing. Bought some tops and some trousers. They were quite nice. The style is bit of a departure for me, but I am pleased with my purchases. Then at Bloomingdales on 3rd Avenue, I finally bought some sunglasses. I have been so indecisive about sunglasses, never seeming to be able to find a pair to match my face. However the shop assistant was very helpful, and I finally purchased a pair of Ray Bans which I am quite happy with.
Tonight the hostel put on a stand-up comedy show. There were about four or five different commedians. But we were a pretty tough crowd. Some of the material was okay - the last one had some good jokes - but most of them failed dismally with the largely international audience. Something about most American stand-up just doesn't work for other cultures. We clapped for their efforts anyway.
So that's about it for now. Hope I haven't bored anyone yet. Tomorrow I am thinking of going to get a ticket to a Broadway show. The one I am interested in is "Spring Awakenings", which recently won a Tony Award, and is supposed to be really good.
Anyway, take care everyone.
Talk to you soon,
Dale
Wednesday, June 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment