Sunday, June 24, 2007

Well, I've now had my first full day in NYC since I arrived, and it was absolutely amazing. I signed up to "Jerry's Grand Tour of NYC" at the hostel. "Jerry" is a volunteer tour guide, a former high school teacher who has been taking people from the hostel on his tour every Saturday for the last eight years. Not even September 11 could stop him. The Saturday following the attacks, Jerry conducted his tour, even though he had to change his route - it had included the Twin Towers as part of it.

Anyway, this would have to have been the best possible way to see NYC. It was a 16 hour walking tour, beginning in Brooklyn Heights, a very attractive suburb occupied by the upper middle class, and ended in Times Square, Midtown. Along the way, we walked across the Brooklyn Bridge, walked through the Financial District, including Wall Street, took the Staten Island Ferry (which was free!), had a meal in Chinatown, walked through Little Italy, Little India, Soho, Noho, Greenwich Village, East Village... did I miss anything out? There was a lot, and enough experiences to fill a book. I have a very good overview of many of the famous neighbourhoods of New York, and feel, having been on this tour, that I have the confidence to go and explore some places further on my own.

One of the most ubelievable parts about all this is that the tour only cost $10, plus the cost of the metrocard (we had to take the subway a few times), and $10 for the meal in Chinatown - an extremely cheap activity but will be one of the most memorable. I hope to try and visit as many of these places again in the next four weeks, so I will try and write about them in detail in later posts.

Perhaps I should just briefly mention some of the highlights. Soho has aa lot of art galleries. I spent a few minutes in the "Opera" Gallery, which had a lot of amazing works of art (and very expensive too - I think I overheard the gallery owner offering half price on a $30,000 "Kaplan" to a dealer - slightly out of my budget I'm afraid!). Also along the streets of Soho there were a lot of artists selling their original artwork and prints. One guy who spoke to us makes scultptures out of mesh - flywire, copper, etc. Soho is also good for clothes shopping. There was a sale going on for designer denim. Might have to venture down there in the next few days and see if anything attracts me.

We went to Washington Square Park, where of course there is this massive arch. There also happened to be the "NYC Annual Dyke Parade". Lots of loud drumming. I can't imagine seeing anything like it in Melbourne!

We went into the Grand Central Terminal in Midtown. Unbelievable!! Flinders Street and Southern Cross Stations have nothing on this work of art!! I have never seen a train station like it!

We also went into the Marriot Hotel in Times Square. A very interesting hotel, architecturally. There are 86 floors, all around the edge. The inside is hollow all the way up, except for a long pillar with these elevators that look like futuristic pods zooming up and down. We went in one of them up to the 86th floor. They are VERY fast, and it is just amazing looking out the glass as you go all the way up to the top of the building!

Anyway, I'm sure I could remember a alot more, but my time is running out on the internet. I'm going to go and have breakfast in a couple of minutes, and then I am going to do the tour to Columbia University and Harlem to see the Gospel choir!

Until next time, take care!

1 comment:

Chris said...

It sounds like you are having a good time Dale. Love Dad