Hi everyone!
Today I went for a slight change of pace. I hung up my tourist hat (or at least I tried to. It's possible it could have gotten caught to the back of my t-shirt and everyone else but me could see it. I didn't know how to use the ticket machine in the subway, and I also missed the sign that the number 1 train wasn't operating. So I was on the platform by myself, except for some workers, until one of them told me there was no train. So it is possible my tourist hat was trailing behind me, and while I thought I was blending in with the locals, everyone else could see I was just a tourist trying to blend in with the locals. Anyway, I'm taking this metaphor way too seriously...)
I left my cameras back at the hostel, traded my backpack for a satchel, took a few books and my journal, and headed down Broadway to 7th Ave, where I had eggs benedict at a little cafe called "Petrossian". They also sold a lot of sweet pastries, but I didn't want any. Maybe another time...
After my late breakfast (it was almost midday; I slept in until 9AM), I headed towards Central Park. I began at the southern end, and moved my way up along the west side. There were lots of people, mostly tourists down the southern end I think. There were childrens rides, lots of food vendors selling hot dogs and giant pretzels (I tried s bit of someone elses pretzel on the grand tour - wouldn't buy one myself now. Think of a bagel, but without any taste!)
The layout of the park is excellent. I wanted to look for a nice spot to sit down and read a little bit and write in my journal, but the problem was there were so many nice spots! And I kept on wanting to see what was over the next hill, what was on the other side of the next bridge, what was around some lake...
I got tired eventually sat down and read a book and wrote in my journal for about an hour. Then I headed out to a cafe on the upper west side where I ordered an "Akabura" chicken breast sandwich - which had American cheddar, fried onions, green capsicum and sauteed mushrooms. Actually I ordered the "platter" version, which in addition to a sandwich, came with fries, tomato and lettuce. I though that sounded more balanced and interesting than just a "sandwich" which was how it was described. It was asbolutely massive! I looked at it and thought there was no way I could eat it all. Well, I was mostly wrong. I left something on the plate - not much - just so I could say I didn't eat it all. Think I will be having a light dinner tonight!
Went back to Central Park and wandered some more. I walked around the "Reservoir", which is the biggest lake in the park, and gives you an amazing view of the cityscape surrounding the park from the east, west and south. There were lots of people jogging around this lake. Eventually I made my way back to the hostel and now here I am posting on this blog!
Anyway, can't think of anything else to write now, and my time is running out. I can't post pictures from here because there is no USB port. I might try going to the Apple Store again and see if I can do it from there.
I think tomorrow I would like to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, then who knows...
Anyway, hope evryone is looking after themselves.
Talk to you all soon,
Dale
Monday, June 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'll be interested in your impression of MoMA. I suppose, like the Louve, there would be a limit of how much you could take in at one time.
Enjoy! Love Dad
Sounds like you are enjoying yourself. Am enjoying reading about what you are doing. It is making me want to go to New York
Love mum
Post a Comment